Sunday, July 20, 2008

New Electric Company?


Ex - - citing. Exciting! I was pleasantly surprised to see this notice tacked up in Manhattan the other day saying that there's a new version of 1970s kidstraviganza "The Electric Company" in production. Did we all know this was happening already? I didn't, a little Googling turned up next to nothing. I just feel like I've stumbled upon a fantastic discovery, like when I found that my copy of All Things Must Pass had a gigantic poster of George Harrison inside. Please don't destroy this feeling, it's all I have.

There was, for some reason, a poster above the usual parking notice with further explanation. This is something the producers at Law & Order and Gossip Girl don't feel the need to do, but I guess everyone at Sesame Workshop takes their social responsibility seriously. Text in part is below.

"Sesame Workshop is launching a new season of The Electric Company this year on PBS. We are excited to be reviving a missed children's educational televison series that was very popular in the 1970s. Similar to the original series, the new series strives to encourage the language and vocabular development for children age's [sic] six to nine."

You might want to exert a bit more quality control over these location department notices guys - a grammatical error and an overall lack of verve? Tsk, tsk.

No comments: